RCGP 26 February 2018
- This paper builds on the the concept of referral management (reducing GP referrals by imposing external control measures) by proposing "referral support" as an alternative term to describe initiatives that focus on improving the quality and appropriateness of GP referrals. It considers the context in which referral management and support initiatives are set up, as well as the evidence for and against the following models
- Referral management centres;
- Local expertise;
- Specialist advice;
- Peer review and reflection;
- Pathway development and guidelines.
- The report includes principles to guide the local development and implementation of referral support initiatives and a series of recommendations.